Instagram Publishing Best Practices
Instagram is an image first social network and requires images in specific aspect ratios. To publish Instagram content on desktop:
1. Click on New Library Post and select Instagram from the selected network list.
2. Upload an Instagram compatible photo and optionally add a message. Feel free to use hashtags and mentions.
3. Continue with how you would normally publish or schedule a post and then you’re ready to go.
Because Instagram is an image-first platform with photo restrictions, Hearsay Social has been optimized for use with its API. This means creating image content for Instagram is a slightly different process than if you were creating content for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Please note these restrictions:
• The amount of characters accepted in a single post is 2,200.
• If a user exceeds these limits, they will be presented with an error message which reads, "Your message is too long. Instagram messages can be up to 2200 characters long. Please shorten your message and retry."
• Only single photos can be published to Instagram.
• Photos should be under 8MB size and between 150x150 and 1920x1080 pixels.
• Photo aspect ratio should be between 4:5 and 1.91:1 range. For best viewing quality, we recommend you choose between 3 options
1. Square - 1:1 ratio
- Any size square image or video (same width and height)
- 600 x 600 pixels
- 800 x 800 pixels
- 1200 x 1200 pixels
2. Portrait - 4:5 ratio
- An image that is slightly taller than it is wide
- 600 x 900 pixels (aspect ratio 0.67)
- 800 x 1000 pixels (aspect ratio 0.8)
- 1200 x 1500 pixels (aspect ratio 0.8)
3. Landscape - 1:91:1
- An image that is significantly wider than it is tall
- 800 x 600 pixels (aspect ratio 1.33)
- 1200 x 800 pixels (aspect ratio 1.5)
- 1500 x 1200 pixels (aspect ratio 1.25)